Tag Archives: whole foods
Anyone can do anything for 30 seconds (according to Coach Matt) but what about 30 days? We have adopted two different routes for the Summer Sugar Busters Challenge with one end goal in mind, awareness of the added sugars in our diets outside of natural sugars and carbohydrates. It is likely that each of us have individual accomplishments set for ourselves and we suggest writing those goals down in a conspicuous place so that you can revisit the why’s when you are questioning the how’s.
Cold Turkey for 3 days and the gradual addition of healthy food sources back to the diet weekly over the course of 30 days.
The removal of processed sugars (week 1), fruits high in sugar (2), grain (3), and alcohol (4) over the course of 30 days.
Week 1 Blue | Cold Turkey
- Days 1-3, no sugars, no dairy, no grain, no alcohol, no kidding. Think protein, non-starchy veggies, and full fats.
- Day 4, add 1 apple and a serving of full-fat unsweetened dairy such as plain yogurt or cheese back in to your daily diet.
- Days 4-7, continue through week 1 with the addition of some higher sugar veggies (carrots & snow peas) and a glass of red wine a day (optional).
Week 1 Green | Whole Foods
- Removal of processed or refined sugars (complex sugars) from your daily diet.
- Think whole foods, dis the dressings and sauces, prepackaged, canned or frozen foods and consider the ingredients in the food source before consumption.
- Exchange your sweetened yogurts and flavored milks for unsweetened full-fat dairy sources (in moderation).
- Use honey or fresh fruits as a natural sweetener.
- Nix the artificial sweeteners.
- Read labels, if it contains high fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, or molasses, put it back. The perimeter of the grocery store offers you perishable items, no shelf life typically means no preservatives.
SoWal CrossFit is ready to take a stand against the sweetest of addictions, sugar. Nutrition plays a vital role in ensuring the most successful outcome on your fitness journey and we’re thrilled to be a part of it. Let’s make it happen, together!